An interior view of the second floor of the J.V. Barker Mercantile Company. c. 1906
J. V. Barker Mercantile Co.
The business of this house was established over twenty years ago, and the Company was incorporated three years ago. Their premises, which measure 11,000 square feet, are located at Nos. 121, 122, 125, 127 South College avenue, and their business is aptly described in their popular words, "We Furnish Homes." The Company deal exclusively in furniture and house furnishings and is the oldest and leading house of its kind in the city.
The company is financially strong, is well managed, enjoys an excellent reputation, and has the support of many of the leading families in the city and surrounding district. Mr. J. V. Barker, the Secretary, Treasurer and Manager, is a man of sound judgment, good administrative ability,, and strong personality, who takes an intelligent interest in public affairs.
The Clark Smith Book Store
This store was formerly the Killgore Book Store and recently was taken over by the present proprietor. It is an established, attractive and well stocked store, located at No. 105 S. College avenue. Mr. Smith has a stock of selected books, stationery, school supplies, pictures, picture frames, curios, etc. and as he has been careful in selecting both his stock and locality, it is only natural to find he has a most auspicious start. The store is well and favorably known in the city and in the capable hands of Mr. Smith it is only a question of deserving success and commanding it. He has a pleasant and obliging manner, is frank and courteous to patrons, and duly appreciates the patronage bestowed during his opening months. He is a native of Ohio, a K. P. and W. O. W. and belongs to other similar societies.