Skip to content  Research : Exhibits : Quick Facts : Visit Archive : Site Map : Contact Us    
Fort Collins History Connection: an online collaboration of the Fort Collins Museum & Discovery Science Center and the Poudre River Public Library District
  home : advanced search : preferences : favorites : order photographs : about : help    
 

111 N. College, Gifford Hardware, c. 1904
111 N. College, Gifford Hardware, c. 1904

The Gifford Hardware Co.

If anyone doubts as to the prosperity and importance of Fort Collins as a city and center of trade a visit to the busy and exceptionally well stocked stores would readily dispel such doubts. There is no better stocked or better conducted store in the city than that of the Gifford Hardware Co. with offices, etc., at No. 111 North College avenue. This company was established and incorporated in July 1898, and deal in shelf and heavy hardware, stoves, tinware, nails, cutlery, plumbers' supplies, guns, ammunition, sporting goods, and make a specialty of plumbing. They have a number of experienced help, and do a most extensive and prosperous trade with patrons in the city and surrounding district. The officers are: Mr. R. J. Andrews, president, a native of Pennsylvania and an Elk; Mr. Frank Gifford, secretary, a native of New York and an Elk; Mr. Frank D. Abbott, treasurer, a native of Illinois and a prominent Mason, as also an Elk and W. O. W. In the officers there is a combination of knowledge, experience and business ability such as could not fail to beget success. Their business qualifications and personal character have marked them as leading merchants and highly esteemed citizens.

The Fort Collins Coal, Ice & Transfer Company

The merchants of Fort Collins are enthusiastic as to the prosperity and prospects of the city and are men of enterprise and substantiality. The business of the above named company was established twelve years ago and the company incorporated fully two years ago and are dealers in coal and ice, and do a moving and storage business in addition to all of which they are dealers in hay, straw, etc. The company has a store and office nearly 25x80 feet, employ a force of help and do a very considerable and rapidly increasing trade in city and vicinity. The premises of the company are located at the corner of Linden street and Mountain avenue and the officers are Mr. J. F. Vandewark, president; Mr. C. S. Atherly, secretary, and Mr. E. A. Atherly, treasurer. All are men known favorably in business and social circles and are not only successful merchants but respected and public spirited citizens.
Previous Next
Home : Policy : Museum : Library : Site Map : Contact Us  
The Archive at the Fort Collins Museum of Discovery, 408 Mason Court, Fort Collins, Colorado, 80524, (970) 221-6688
©Copyright 1996-2012 City of Fort Collins, Colorado

Fort Collins Museum of Discovery          Poudre River Public Library District